Re: Non-Building seimic analysis

>From my previous designs, I normally use a Rw  = 4 for Bins and Hoppers on Braced or Unbraced Legs.

The normal operating contents for dry storage percentage the engineer might be telling you is the amount of bulk material stored in the various cells of the hopper. So, if say there are 10 cells, 8 cells are filled up, the maximum. But check the product density. Stored solids tend to consolidate as a result of the prolonged storage and become more dense. Consider, too, the angle of repose of the product as the tank cells are filled. Even if all cells are filled, since the tank will be top loaded, there will be void areas as the product follows its normal angle of repose.

For better concept, refer to "Design of Steel Bins for Storage of Bulk Solids", by Edwin, Jr. & Charles Gaylord.

Jerome

Subject: Non-Building seimic analysis
Author:  MIME:CWood(--nospam--at)pcidesign.com at INTERNET
Date:    9/11/98 9:00 AM

Does anyone know what "normal operating contents" is as far as dry storage in a cylindrical hopper. I am dealing with an engineer that considers it to 80% of the material weight that the hopper can hold.
Also, what would Rw be if the hopper is supported on a concentrically braced frames (WF columns and beams with angle bracing).

Chris Wood PE, SE