Re: Standard of Care

As far as the "standard of care" portion of this thread, my understanding of
the "general concept" is the following:

1.  The Engineer actually designs, draws and specs certain items on a project
2.  Other items on a project may be given to a supplier to perform the actual
design and drawing portion.  The EOR is responsible for giving performance
information, required loading information etc so that the supplier can
successfully design it even if that requires the supplier to hire an engineer
themselves.  But in this case, the EOR is to give "clear direction" to what is
to be supplied.  One example of this direction would be the specification for
the item.  A pre-engineered metal building is a good example of this.  In
these cases, it would seem to  me that an engineering stamp would be required
on this portion by the suppliers engineer.
3.  some items may be left to a supplier to design and draw, but the end
result of this design is to come back to the EOR for approval.  The old method
of allowing a steel fabricator to design simple shear connections, submit
their design back to the engineer for approval is an example of this.

To my knowledge, the EOR cannot "totally ignore" certain aspects of the
project.  They should give direction to the people the EOR is percieving to be
responsible.  If some aspect is not being design at all, then the Owner should
be informed that it is not and it is his responsibility.  I have been
contacted before to design a platform, but they were going to set it on the
floor and do no design for a foundation.  I informed the Owner my drawings
would show a reaction at each column and a note.

i advise the originator of this thread to write out the questions and get a
response from the EOR as to "direction".

In answer to the brace rods on metal buildings, I know they do not take into
account any pretensioning to my knowledge.  The "assumption" is that they will
be installed snug-tite.  In reality, some erectors use one rod to plumb the
building with.  The other rod generally gets installed real loose while the
rod used to plumb is like a guitar string.   Most metal buildigns with a wall
panel that has diaphragm ability are actually relying on that panel for
bracing even though it was not designed that way.  As long as the panels are
there and not cut-upp with openings, the rods are not performing in much
capacity.

Ron Martin, PE
Tuscaloosa, AL