UBC Section 1634

I'm using the UBC 97 code for the first time and since it's been
completely revised since the last edition
I still have some problems with it. I would appreciate input that would
help me understand some of the parts.

In section 1634 (Loads on non building structures) article 1634.1.2
states that "... reductions in these forces using the coefficient R is
permitted where the design of non building structures provides
sufficient strength and ductility....".

Does this mean that I could divide the minimum base shears obtained by
equations 34-1 or 34-2 by the proper R value?

I'm designing a foundation for a skirt supported vertical vessel with a
height of 86m and a diameter of 5.87m containing hydrocarbons. The rest
of the parameters are as follows:

T=1.87s      Z=0.2 (Zone 2)     R=2.9
Cv=0.4  Ca=0.28 (Soil profile SD)
I=1.25

Eq. 30-4 would give  V= .09W
According to Eq. 34-2  V=0.2W

But if my impression of article 1634.1.2 is correct I could reduce the
minimum value to .2W/2.9=.07W using the R factor.

I'd appreciate any comments on this matter.

Thanks
S Parhizgari