RE: UBC Section 1634

No.  Your impression is not correct.  I had some hand in writing this, and I am sorry if you are confused.

The intent is that you either use the conservative provisions of the Section 1634 "Nonbuilding Structures" in its entirety or you are permitted to use the less conservative R values as used in the "buildings" sections if you provide all of the ductility requirements set forth in the "buildings" section.

A skirt supported vessel is a unique entity.  I would not even try to guess what equivalent R value you would have in the buildings section.

The intent was as follows:
Say you had a pipe rack that was a concentric braced frame.  You could use an R of 2.9 per Table 16-P and be done with it.  But you do have the latitude to use an R of 5.6 per Table 16-N if you also use all the special requirements for concentric braced frames like the amplified connection forces.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.