Re: Re; "portable" footbridges

Check out Civil Engineering News, July 1996. the article is called "a man and a bridge" written by Al Pagan P.E. It is about a guy who built a 110 foot span suspension foot bridge from wood in the Appalachians. I emailed Al Pagan when the article came out and he told me that a book was going to be published.
Jeff Smith
-----Original Message-----
From: T <vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com>
To: SEAINT <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Friday, September 11, 1998 4:16 PM
Subject: Re; "portable" footbridges

We are assisting in putting together concepts for the design, fabrication and assembly of footbridge(s) for the Baden_Powell Trail in the province of British Columbia.

Our first step is to collate concepts that are already in place.  We will be searching the internet for systems that conform to (but not limited to) the following general specifications.

1)    Spans: 30ft to 60ft. (10' increments)

2)    Preferred Materials: Aluminum and/or timber

3)    Assembly must be achievable with manpower or small transports.  We envisage sections of 100lb +/-.
Must be modular or be in pre-fabricated sections for assembly with manpower on site.  The trail can be expected to vary in width from two persons to vehicle width +/-.  Environment is, of course, mountainous with bridges required at locations up mountainsides and stream crossings.

4)    Off-the-shelf systems will be considered. From-scratch design will be carried out in the event no suitable proprietary systems are found.

Your comment or suggested sources would be appreciated.

Thor A. Tandy   P.Eng,  MCSCE,  MIPENZ
Victoria, BC, Canada
e-mail: <vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com>