Re: RE: Construction Live Load on Composite Beams

For the design of composite floor slabs, I wish to refer you to the
"Standard for the Structural Design of Composite Slabs", ASCE 3-91(ANSI
approved 1992) and the companion "Standard Practice for Construction and
Inspection of Composite Slabs, ASCE 9-91(ANSI approved 1992).   These two
standards are available in the same document that may be obtained for a
small charge from ASCE publications department ph. 800-548-ASCE.  The
design is based on strength design principles.
-Max

Max L. Porter, P.E., Ph.D.
Professor, Civil Engineering
Civil & Construction Engrg. Dept.
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011
Ph. 515-294-7456
Fax 515-294-8216

>>> Ed Marshall <elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com> 9/11/98 12:09:14 PM >>>
For reference, the Steel Deck Institute Specification for Composite
Steel Floor Deck says "Bending stress in the deck shall not exceed 0.6
times the yield strength ... under the combined loads of wet concrete,
deck and the following construction love loads:  20 pounds per square
foot uniform load or 150 pound concentrated load on a 1'-0" wide section
of deck."  IMHO that's pretty minimal.

Ed Marshall, PE
Simons Engineering,
Atlanta