Re: Wood connector allowable values

Buddy,

Thanks for the explanation -- that was real helpful; especially the
distinction between a bolted lapped splice and a mudsill-type connection with
distributed application of load.

Another advantage that I see in long splices is in the tendancy for short
pieces to split.  I've observed that the shorter the piece of wood, the more
likely it is to be fragile and more easily split: a block of a few inches
length can sometimes split by just driving a nail into it.  It seems to me
(oh-oh, intuition at work again) that longer pieces with longer-than-minimum
distances between connectors will be less subject to the effects of local
zones of fragility, and thus beneficial.  A lapped splice using 3 3/4" bolts
each end may be only 33" long; I'd prefer a piece developing the capacity of 3
3/4" bolts each end to be 6 to 8 feet long if the detail will accommodate a
piece of that length.

Is the Cg factor based on testing?  I can see from the NDS Commentary
explanation that the intention is to account for the distribution of loads to
the connectors in proportion to the rigidities of the several load paths
through a multiple-connector assembly.  Is this the whole story?

The technical report that is intended help with an intuitive understanding of
the wood connector formulas sounds beneficial -- I'd like to know how to get a
copy when available.  Some of the formulas seem to me to be sort of magical.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer