Re: Ken Starr's Report to Congress Online - venom

Regarding Polhemus's comments:

I agree that this list should be open to some non-engineering chatter--life
isn't all engineering.  I too enjoyed Wildwoman's jokes and was very bothered
that she was so summarily ejected (I hope she's back under another name,
perhaps chastised and thus less fun).

And the Clinton situation is fertile soil for all sorts of comments, shallow
as well as deep.  I enjoy the zipper cartoons, even though I consider him a
good president.  Calling him a jerk, or incompetent, or an adulterer is one
thing, but to say "he doesn't give a d*mn about this country without himself
as its President" is off-the-wall--spiteful and malicious rather than
"intellectually strenuous."  I consider Polhemus guilty of the very condition
(intellectual laziness) he criticizes.

I was upset by Polhemus's 9/12/98 diatribe because it sounded to me like
someone sitting in a little cabin in the woods--hating everyone who disagrees
with himself and potentially capable of doing something hurtful (to use the
mildest term I can think of).  I am of course wrong, I assume, but I think he
should be aware that such strong language may cause that sort of perception in
the listener.

Venom (Random House Dictionary) :  "something resembling or suggesting poison
in its effect; spite; malice, as the venom of jealousy."

>I'm sorry if you're offended, but "venomous" is an inappropriate term.
> I'm expressing my opinion.  It may be that my opinion doesn't square with
>your own, and that leads you to conclude that it is "venomous."  It seems
>that today, when we disagree with someone, it is intellectually less
strenuous
>to conclude they are dolts, or hate-filled, or some combination.

Now, back to overdriven nails--such fun!

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA