Political Issues

Shafat,

After receiving your message I find I must respectfully protest.  We are
professionals and should be able to site our views and opinions simply
as views and opinions.  One of the major problems today are a few who
claim to represent "mainstream society" are telling the rest of us not
only what to think but how to think about it!  I am getting very tired
of a few individuals on this list dictating to us what can be said and
how it can be said!

My disappointment in this area is not directed at Shafat, it is directed
at the rest of the narrow minded members of this list who simply can't
stand to hear an opinion on other than structural engineering which
differs from their sacred beliefs.  I say, to all of those who agree
with Starr or disagree with Starr it makes no difference.  You have the
right to express your opinion as long as you don't expect the rest of us
to accept it as fact.  To those who have complained about expressing
political opinions on this list, I say, grow up!  What has made the US
strong is the ability to discuss opinions in an open forum.

In the last few months the minority of list members have dictated to the
rest of us the topics which can be discussed on this list.  I say it is
time to stop this kind of censorship!  We are all adults and can stand
to listen to differing opinions.  There is much more to life than
Structural Engineering.  We have a forum of individuals with a common
background so what better venue to express our opinions on the world.

My $.02 worth!!!!!

Richard Ranous