UBC 97 Alternate Basic Load Combinations

>From: jerome.tan(--nospam--at)PAREURO.COM
>To: Seaint(--nospam--at)Seaint.org
>Subject: UBC 97 Alternate Basic Load Combinations
>
>Folks,
>
>UBC 97 1612.3.2 on Alternate basic load combinations states that
>"... a one third increase shall be permitted in allowable stresses for all
> combinations, including W or E."
>
>Notice the comma between the words COMBINATION & INCLUDING. Is that
>suppose to be there? Shouldn't this be "...FOR ALL COMBINATIONS THAT
>INCLUDES W or E."?
>
>If not, then does that mean that for Equations 12-12,12-14,12-15,
>there is an allowed overstressing of 33 percent? Hypothetically, what
>if I do not have roof, wind or snow load? Does it mean then that (D +
>L) < 1.33*Allowable?
>
>Hope you can explain it. Thanks.
>

>Jerome

The comma is an error. It should read "... for all combinations including W
or E." That is, for all combinations that include a Wind or Earthquake
term. Just as in the previous code, it is not appropriate to allow a
one-third stress increase to combinations that contain only Dead, Live,
and/or Roof loads (such as Eq. (12-12)).

Allen Adams, S.E.
RAM International