Re: Fw: R-values in Seismic Provisions

I think too much gasoline would burn solid theories of structural dynamics!

Based on what theory increase in damping results in increased displacement
response? I think the reality and the theory are totally oposite to what you
stated.

Regards,

Majid Sarraf

>Just to throw a little gasoline on the fire...
>
> There would also
>be some damping I imagine (which, interestingly, would lead to a higher
>maximum displacement).
>
>It would seem reasonable, in my mind, that the above factors (overstrength,
>period elongation, damping) would drop the R factor down from 2.2 to 2.
>
>So, at least according to UBC97, it would seem that an R factor of about 2
>is appropriate for an "elastic" response, at least the way I see it.
>Anyone agree/disagree?
>
>T. Eric Gillham PE

              ~      ~           ~ ___
                       [_________]-|__)
              __________OO______O__O_O___________________________
                  |==========================================|
                   \               Majid Sarraf             /
                    \             Ph.D Candidate           /
                     \   Department of Civil Engineering  /
                      |        University of Ottawa      |
                      |           Ottawa, Ontario        |
                      |            Canada K1N 6N5        |