Re: Non-Building seimic analysis

Chris Wood wrote:

>Does anyone know what "normal operating contents" is as far as dry storage
in
a cylindrical hopper.  I am dealing with an engineer that considers it to
80%
of the material weight that the hopper can hold.  Also, what would Rw be if
the hopper is supported on a concentrically braced frames (WF columns and
beams with angle bracing). <

I get the impression the other engineer may be using 80% as "normal
operating
contents" based on an assumption that an earthquake is not likely to occur
when the hopper is full, i.e. the hopper is not "normally" completely full.
But I do not think this is the intent of "normal operating contents" - I
would
use the maximum contents that the hopper is intended to hold under normal
operating conditions (e.g. ignore unusual conditions such as "overflow"
conditions).  I would use the R-value as for bins and hoppers in the table
for
nonbuilding structures.

Harold - perhaps you could shed some light on why "vessels" and "hoppers" on
braced or unbraced legs have different R-values?  It seems that the
structural
system is similar, although the vessel containing fluid would also involve
"sloshing".