RE: Steel: Moments in joist seats.

I recall a warehouse-type building in the Portland area which collapsed in
the '70's after a heavy snowfall.  The roof framing was open-web joists
supported on really skinny little pipe columns, which couldn't accommodate
the joist deflections under the snow load.  As a minimum, IMHO you should
get all the dead load on before connecting the chord extension, and then do
it with bolts in longitudinally slotted holes.  I would also size the column
to be able to handle some nominal moment cranked in at the top.  It's hard
to picture the chord forming a plastic hinge before the cap plate yields in
bending about its thickness.  The problem  would be less severe if you have
a joist framing in from each side, of course.