RE: FW: R-values in Seismic Provisions

With all due respect to Mr. Hamburger, I agree with Bill and I must add that
Non-structural elemnts are indeed stiff but rather brittle elements that provide
addiotional stiffness, by acting in parallel with the main structural frame.
They must incerease the overal stiffness which results in decreased period
(i.e. increased frequency) in the initial dynamic response, and later, as a
result of failure of these non-structural elements or their stiffness
degradation, overal stiffness reduces to that of the bare frame, and dynamic
response corresponding to the period based on the bare frame stiffness
should prevail.

Please feel free to correct me on this.

Regards,

Majid Sarraf

>I guess I'm now confused but, until the "non-structural" components break,
>won't they stiffen the structure?
>
>Regards,
>Bill Allen

              ~      ~           ~ ___
                       [_________]-|__)
              __________OO______O__O_O___________________________
                  |==========================================|
                   \               Majid Sarraf             /
                    \             Ph.D Candidate           /
                     \   Department of Civil Engineering  /
                      |        University of Ottawa      |
                      |           Ottawa, Ontario        |
                      |            Canada K1N 6N5        |