RE: FW: R-values in Seismic Provisions

>I guess I'm now confused but, until the "non-structural" components break,
>won't they stiffen the structure?
In mechanical systems non-structural items add more mass than stiffness.
I haven't done a two column proof of this, but I'd guess the reason is
that they're not part of the structural load path. Again, in mechanical
systems, it's really tough to stiffen a given structure without adding an
offsetting mass, other than by making the member end support more
effective.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw