Re: S. E. registration

I'm going from memory here, so what I say may not be current.  Perhaps Roger Turk could fill in any holes.

Arizona has had a Structural branch since before I began practice (early 80's).  It is a bit different than that of California and similar states.  It is not an "Authority", as in California, but an actual P.E. branch.  You do not need to be registered as a Civil first.  The requirements were 8 years experience (5 of which could be school), pass the EIT (or 12 years experience without the EIT), and passing the structural exam.  The exam was 16 hours, but the first 8 hours are the same exam that the Civil's take.  Despite this, Arizona refuses to grant you a Civil license, claiming that structural experience is too limited in scope to qualify for a general Civil license (even though you have taken and passed the Civil exam).  They did, however, allow Civil's to seal structural plans.   I think that they may  use the Western States Structural Exam now.

Several years ago, the Arizona board rules were amended to read that the "design of beams and columns" was to be done by Structural P. E.'s only.  They did grandfather in anyone who had a Civil registration prior to this change.  Unfortunately, this amendment was taken out a year or two later, so I assume it is safe for Civil's to again do structural engineering.

I also know that Utah instituted an SE registration a few years back ( 94 or 95 I think).  They grandfathered in anyone who had 10 years structural design experience (not necessarily P. E. registration) prior to the first SE exam.

Hope this helps.

--Kipp Martin
Jerry Coombs asked: