Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: S. E. registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
This brings up an interesting point:

Is there a web site that any would recommend, that deals with the licensing/registration laws in the various states?  Perhaps NCEES (if that's still the acronym)?

-----Original Message-----
From:	Kipp Martin [SMTP:KAMartin(--nospam--at)]
Sent:	Thursday, September 17, 1998 10:19 AM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Re: S. E. registration

I'm going from memory here, so what I say may not be current.  Perhaps Roger Turk could fill in any holes.

Arizona has had a Structural branch since before I began practice (early 80's).  It is a bit different than that of California and similar states.  It is not an "Authority", as in California, but an actual P.E. branch.  You do not need to be registered as a Civil first.  The requirements were 8 years experience (5 of which could be school), pass the EIT (or 12 years experience without the EIT), and passing the structural exam.  The exam was 16 hours, but the first 8 hours are the same exam that the Civil's take.  Despite this, Arizona refuses to grant you a Civil license, claiming that structural experience is too limited in scope to qualify for a general Civil license (even though you have taken and passed the Civil exam).  They did, however, allow Civil's to seal structural plans.   I think that they may  use the Western States Structural Exam now.

Several years ago, the Arizona board rules were amended to read that the "design of beams and columns" was to be done by Structural P. E.'s only.  They did grandfather in anyone who had a Civil registration prior to this change.  Unfortunately, this amendment was taken out a year or two later, so I assume it is safe for Civil's to again do structural engineering.

I also know that Utah instituted an SE registration a few years back ( 94 or 95 I think).  They grandfathered in anyone who had 10 years structural design experience (not necessarily P. E. registration) prior to the first SE exam.

Hope this helps.

--Kipp Martin
Jerry Coombs asked:

>The state of New Mexico will soon be looking at the possibility of adding a 
>SE option to the registrations.  For those of you in states that already 
>have it, What are the basic requirements for SE (besides the obvious 16 hrs 
>of tests)?  When is the SE required to be used?   When it started, was 
t>here a grandfather clause?