Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: S. E. registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Try the NSPE site (  Click on "About NSPE", then on "NSPE
State Societies", then take your pick of states.

Bob Germaine
email: bgermain(--nospam--at)
phone: 541-758-0235 ext 3440
fax: 541-752-0276

> ----------
> From: 	Windows/admin/polhemwl on behalf of Bill
> Polhemus[SMTP:polhemus(--nospam--at)]
> Sent: 	Thursday, September 17, 1998 8:26 AM
> To: 	'seaint(--nospam--at)'
> Subject: 	RE: S. E. registration
> This brings up an interesting point:
> Is there a web site that any would recommend, that deals with the
> licensing/registration laws in the various states?  Perhaps NCEES (if
> that's still the acronym)?
> 	-----Original Message-----
> 	From:	Kipp Martin [SMTP:KAMartin(--nospam--at)]
> 	Sent:	Thursday, September 17, 1998 10:19 AM
> 	To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> 	Subject:	Re: S. E. registration
> 	I'm going from memory here, so what I say may not be current.
> Perhaps Roger Turk could fill in any holes.
> 	Arizona has had a Structural branch since before I began practice
> (early 80's).  It is a bit different than that of California and similar
> states.  It is not an "Authority", as in California, but an actual P.E.
> branch.  You do not need to be registered as a Civil first.  The
> requirements were 8 years experience (5 of which could be school), pass
> the EIT (or 12 years experience without the EIT), and passing the
> structural exam.  The exam was 16 hours, but the first 8 hours are the
> same exam that the Civil's take.  Despite this, Arizona refuses to grant
> you a Civil license, claiming that structural experience is too limited in
> scope to qualify for a general Civil license (even though you have taken
> and passed the Civil exam).  They did, however, allow Civil's to seal
> structural plans.   I think that they may  use the Western States
> Structural Exam now.
> 	Several years ago, the Arizona board rules were amended to read that
> the "design of beams and columns" was to be done by Structural P. E.'s
> only.  They did grandfather in anyone who had a Civil registration prior
> to this change.  Unfortunately, this amendment was taken out a year or two
> later, so I assume it is safe for Civil's to again do structural
> engineering.
> 	I also know that Utah instituted an SE registration a few years back
> ( 94 or 95 I think).  They grandfathered in anyone who had 10 years
> structural design experience (not necessarily P. E. registration) prior to
> the first SE exam.
> 	Hope this helps.
> 	--Kipp Martin
> 	___________________________________________________________
> 	Jerry Coombs asked:
> 	>The state of New Mexico will soon be looking at the possibility of
> adding a 
> 	>SE option to the registrations.  For those of you in states that
> already 
> 	>have it, What are the basic requirements for SE (besides the
> obvious 16 hrs 
> 	>of tests)?  When is the SE required to be used?   When it started,
> was 
> 	t>here a grandfather clause?
> 	>Thanx
> 	>JDC