Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: S. E. registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
As far as I know, there isn't one.  The National Council for Examiners for 
Engineers and Surveyors has a web sit ( but do not list state 
requirements.  The refer you to each state.  Some states have web sites, 
but not many post the licensure requirements (NM does).  If anyone finds a 
site, please post it.  SEAoI has compiled some info on this topic.  NCSEA 
has a web site with limited info (

-----Original Message-----
From:	Bill Polhemus
Sent:	Thursday, September 17, 1998 9:27 AM
To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)'
Subject:	RE: S. E. registration

This brings up an interesting point:

Is there a web site that any would recommend, that deals with the 
licensing/registration laws in the various states?  Perhaps NCEES (if 
that's still the acronym)?

-----Original Message-----
From:	Kipp Martin [SMTP:KAMartin(--nospam--at)]
Sent:	Thursday, September 17, 1998 10:19 AM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Re: S. E. registration

I'm going from memory here, so what I say may not be current.  Perhaps 
Roger Turk could fill in any holes.

Arizona has had a Structural branch since before I began practice (early 
80's).  It is a bit different than that of California and similar states. 
 It is not an "Authority", as in California, but an actual P.E. branch. 
 You do not need to be registered as a Civil first.  The requirements were 
8 years experience (5 of which could be school), pass the EIT (or 12 years 
experience without the EIT), and passing the structural exam.  The exam was 
16 hours, but the first 8 hours are the same exam that the Civil's take. 
 Despite this, Arizona refuses to grant you a Civil license, claiming that 
structural experience is too limited in scope to qualify for a general 
Civil license (even though you have taken and passed the Civil exam).  They 
did, however, allow Civil's to seal structural plans.   I think that they 
may  use the Western States Structural Exam now.

Several years ago, the Arizona board rules were amended to read that the 
"design of beams and columns" was to be done by Structural P. E.'s only. 
 They did grandfather in anyone who had a Civil registration prior to this 
change.  Unfortunately, this amendment was taken out a year or two later, 
so I assume it is safe for Civil's to again do structural engineering.

I also know that Utah instituted an SE registration a few years back ( 94 
or 95 I think).  They grandfathered in anyone who had 10 years structural 
design experience (not necessarily P. E. registration) prior to the first 
SE exam.

Hope this helps.

--Kipp Martin
Jerry Coombs asked:

>The state of New Mexico will soon be looking at the possibility of adding 
>SE option to the registrations.  For those of you in states that already
>have it, What are the basic requirements for SE (besides the obvious 16 
>of tests)?  When is the SE required to be used?   When it started, was
t>here a grandfather clause?