Re: S. E. registration

Kipp Martin pretty well described the Arizona S.E. laws as they were.  I say
"were" because in the last legislative session, an omnibus revision of the
Arizona Registration Statutes was passed and I do not have a copy of the
version that was passed.

Arizona's engineering registration requirements goes back to 1921 with
Registration No. 1 being for Mining Engineering and Geology, followed by
Architect, Civil, Mining and Civil, and Mechanical.  In 1922, a registration
for "Telephone" was issued and the first "Structural" registration was
granted.  Whenever a new "branch" or category was included in the
registration laws, there was necessarily grandfather requirements, i.e., you
can't stop someone from earning a living in a way that he/she has been doing
it for years.  The most recent "grandfathering" that I am aware of occurred
when it was determined that land surveys could only be performed by
registered land surveyors, something that Civils had been doing for years.
Therefore, all Civils were permitted to become licensed as Land Surveyors
without examination.  (I don't recall the grandfathering of civils into
structurals as Kipp mentioned.)

While, as Kipp said, Arizona registrants are (were) permitted to practice
outside their registration category (category is never defined) as long as
they are qualified. (?)

In spite of this ambiguous statement, the Arizona State Board of Technical
Registration has taken severe action against Architects ineptly practicing
Structural, Mechanical and Electrical work, and against Civils doing the
same.  Structurals ineptly practicing structural engineering have also been
dealt with severely.

While I have been registered in Arizona since 1965 and am registered as both
a Civil and Structural Engineer, my "Civil" experience was based on my
employment in highway departments, albeit in their bridge divisions.  If 4 of
the 8 questions ("select any 4 of 8 questions") in both the morning and
afternoon parts of the Civil exam did not deal with structural, I probably
would not have passed the exam.

I hope that this provides some information to help formulate requirements for
Structural Engineering in New Mexico.  Arizona's statutes are supposed to be
on a web site, but I don't have the URL for that.  The Arizona registration
statutes are ARS 32-101 thru 32-150.  In addition, there are "Rules"
promulgated by the State Board of Technical Registration.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona