Re: Epoxy Anchor

We have just been through a similar issue with OSHPD on a hospital
project.  Because epoxy anchors do indeed loose significant strength when
heated, they should not be used to support any kind of gravity loading.
If the anchors are just carrying seismic or wind loads, OSHPD (and I
assume DSA) will in fact allow the use of epoxy anchors.

The problem with expansion bolt is that with the exception of the HILTI
HSL anchors, none of the expansion type anchors have ICBO approved design
values for seismic loads.  The HILTI HSL anchors are metric, made in
Germany, and are very expensive.

OSHPD will in fact accept the HILTI KWIK BOLT II for use as seismic
anchors if you use 80% of the ICBO number for gravity loads for shear or
tension.  However, there could be a problem down the road when the new
ICBO reports come out if the allowable shear and tension values are lower
than what OSHPD is currently allowing.  Admittedly the chance of this
happening is small.

In our case, we ended  up using epoxy anchors because all of our work
involved anchors that only carried seismic anchors for floor mounted
equipment.

Good Luck

Lynn

Project: Retrofit the existing concrete building (school job)