Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Subject: RE: S. E. registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)> wrote:

>>Is there a web site that any would recommend, that deals with the 
>>licensing/registration laws in the various states?

>A number of states have their engineering laws on-line (Minnesota and 
>Florida are two I know). Florida also has a list of licensees who are 
>under sanctions for one reason or another, so I expect other states
>have some juicy stuff like that besides the usual listings and 'Thou
>shalt...' items.

Illinois has their licensing requirements for SE's at:\STRLENG.HTM

Also, jdcoombs(--nospam--at) (Jerry D. Coombs) wrote:

>The state of New Mexico will soon be looking at the possibility of adding
>a SE option to the registrations.  For those of you in states that already 
>have it, What are the basic requirements for SE (besides the obvious 16
>hrs of tests)?  When is the SE required to be used?   When it started,
>was there a grandfather clause?

In Illinois, no one (including a licensed PE) is allowed to practice any
structural engineering without an SE license.  To get the license, you are
required to pass the EIT and the Structural I and II exams from the NCEES.
Of course, there are specific education and experience requirements as
well before you would even be allowed to take the exam (See the link
above).  In general, an accredited civil engineering undergraduate degree
with an emphasis in structural engineering plus at least four years of
work experience in structural engineering would qualify you to take the
exam.  From what I understand, the exam has only about a 20% passing

Michael S. Davis, P.E.