Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Lean concrete

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
CLSM is a good product that I have specified many times.  I would advise that if you foresee the possibility of excavation in the future, you need to note that to the supplier and put an upper f'c limit of 200 psi.  I have heard of a CLSM that was over 2500 psi and very difficult to excavate with a back hoe.

You will get more shrinkage than regular concrete, but a lot less settlement than soil.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Glenn Otto []
Sent:	Friday, September 18, 1998 7:22 AM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Re: Lean concrete

The material you need is called "Controlled Low Strength Materials" by the
report by ACI 229R-94.  The report describes applications, materials,
properties, mix proportioning, construction, and quality control.  Other
names are flowable fill, shrinkable fill, controlled density fill, flowable
mortar, flowable fly ash, fly ash slurry, plastic soil-cement, soil-cement
slurry, to name a few.

Glenn C. Otto, P.E.

Disclaimer:  "My opinions don't necessarily reflect those of the corporate