Re: Re: Increased wind loads due to wall removal.

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:
Mike:

If I read you correctly, you are only concerned with the chance of a
major wind event hitting after the storefront is removed but before the
new wall has been built.  And in particular, you are afraid of the roof
failing due to uplift.

As I recall the original post, there were two walls which had storefront
windows.  One wall was to be blocked up, leaving only one wall with
storefront windows.  The problem it creates is that the building is now
classified as "partially enclosed", which use increased GCpi values in ASCE
7-95 and Cq values in the UBC.  It seems to me you must now inform the Owner
what happens to wind pressures when the windows are removed and calculate the
increased wind forces on the existing building.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org