Re: Grade 5 bolts

>From AISC's "A Guide to Engineering and Quality Criteria for Steel
Structures: Common Questions Answered," "The strength properties of SAE
J429 grade 5 bolts and ASTM A325 bolts are identical; likewise,
SAE J429 grade 8 bolts are the strength equivalent of ASTM A490
bolts. These material material specifications differ, however, in that
ASTM A325 and A490 specify thread length and head size, whereas SAE J429
does not. Additionally, quality assurance and inspection requirements for
ASTM A325 and A490 bolts are more stringent." For these reasons,
substitution of SAE J429 grades 5 and 8 bolts is discouraged in
structural applications.

Charlie