FAQ Part 2

* Structural Engineers Association of Southern California.
* Email List Server - Frequently Asked Questions.
* Last update July 16, 1998
 Continued from part 1

14. Once I send an email to the list, is there a way to stop it?
15. Where to report problems
16. After I post a message, sometimes I receive error messages from
other servers. Why?
17. Sometimes the list members use abbreviations. What do all these
abbreviations stand for?
18. Is there a list of email symbols that I can download?
19. What is the maximum length of an email that can be posted?
20. After I send an email to the list, sometimes I get bad email
notification sent to me instead of the list administrator?
21. I would like to post a file for the list members to read. The file is
larger than 40 K limit. What should I do?
22. When I try to unsubscribe, I get a message that I am not allowed to post?
23. Can I post a joke to the list?

14. Once I send an email to the list, is there a way to stop it?
Under normal conditions the email get sent at the rate of few hundred a
minute. It is very difficult to stop an email. However, you may want to
contact the administrator at
seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org and see if he can stop it.

15. Where to report problems
Should you still have any problems or questions, please email
seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org who will be happy to help.
16. After I post a message, sometimes I receive error messages from
other servers. Why?
There may be a mail server out there that has been directed to return
all the invalid email to the "author" of the message rather than
the "Owner" of the message. This is an incorrect approach. Bounces should
always be sent to the owner (i.e. seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org) not the author.
How other email servers on Internet are programmed remains out of our
control. All we can do is try to educate the administrator of these
servers.
17. Sometimes the list members use abbreviations. What do all these
abbreviations stand for?
Here are some of the frequently used abbreviations:
AFAIK - "As Far As I Know"
AKA - "Also Known As"
ASAP - "As Soon As Possible"
BTW - "By The Way"
BRB - "Be Right Back"
FAQ - "Frequently asked questions"
FYI - "For Your Information"
FWIW - "For What It's Worth"
FUBAR - "F'd Up Beyond All Recognition"
GD&R - "Grinning, Ducking and Running (After snide remark)"
IANAL - "I Am Not A Lawyer (But...)"
IDK - "I don't know"
IMHO - "In My Humble Opinion"
IMO - "In My Opinion"
IYKWIM - "If You Know What I Mean"
IYKWIMAITYD - "If You Know What I Mean And I Think You Do"
LOL - "Laughing Out Loud"
OK - abbreviation of "oll korrect", alteration of "all correct" : al
OTOH - On The Other Hand
PITA - "Pain In The Ass"
PMFJI - "Pardon Me For Jumping In"
PS - "Post Script"
TIA - "Thanks In Advance"
TPTB - "The Powers That Be"
TTFN - "Ta Ta For Now"
ROTFL - "Rolling On The Floor Laughing"
RTFM - "Read The F'N Manual
SOHF - "Sense Of Humor Failure"
SWALK - "Sealed With A Loving Kiss"
WRT - "With Respect To"
WYSIWYG - "What You See Is What You Get"
YMMV - "Your Mileage May Vary" (You may not have the same luck I did)
YWIA - "Your Welcome In Advance"
AFK = away from keyboard
BAK = back at keyboard
BRB = be right back
WB = welcome back
GMTA = great minds think alike
WTG = way to go
RSI = repetitive strain injury
18. Is there a list of email symbols that I can download?
Here are some of the frequently used symbols:
:-) Happy
(-: Left Handed/Australian
:-( Sad
;-) Winky
#-) Oh, what a night!
=:O Yelling/Shocked
:-| Frowning
~~:-[ Net Flame
:-$ Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
:-P Sticking Out Tongue
:-@ Screaming/Swearing/Very Angry/About To Be Sick
:*) Drunk/Clown
:-# Been Smacked In The Mouth/Wears A Brace/Kiss
R-) Broken Glasses
(:-) Bald
:-))) Is Very Fat
:-{} Wears Lipstick
=:-) A Dickhead
@:-) Wears A Turban
$-) Yuppie/Just Won A Large Sum Of Money
:,( Crying
:=) Two Noses
8:] Gorilla
8-) Wears Glasses
B:-) Wears Sun Glasses On Head
:-T Keeping A Straight Face/Tight Lipped
:-y Said With A Smile
:-| Disgusted/Grim/No Expression
:~-( Crying/Shed A Tear
:'-( Crying
:~(~~ Crying
:-Q A Smoker
:-! A Smoker
%-\ Has A Hangover
|-o Bored
:-X A Kiss/Lips Are Sealed
(:-D Has A Big Mouth
(:+) Has A Big Nose
:-{) Has A Moustache
:-* Just Ate Something Sour/Bitter Taste/Kiss
[:-) Is Wearing A Walkman
(:-) Bicycle Helmets
:-)' Tends To Drool
=:-) Punk
+-:-) The Pope
O:-) An Angel
*<:-)> Santa
o-<:-{{{ Santa
*<|:-) Santa/A Clown
5:-) Elvis Presley
:-% Banker
:-: Mutant Smiley
(-:|:-) Siamese Twins
7:-) Fred Flinstone
:/7) Cyrano de Bergerac
C):-O
C):-O
C):-O
C):-O A Barbershop Quartet
3:-o A Cow
8:-) A Pig/A Little Girl
:\/ A Woodpecker
]:-> The Devil
,-) A One Eyed Winky
|-( Lost Contact Lenses
#:-) Matted Hair/Fur Hat/Crewcut/Messy Hair
&:-) Curly Hair
C=:-) A Chef
@}->-- A Rose
=|:-)= Uncle Sam/Abe Loncoln
7:) Ronald Reagan
+<:-| Monk/Nun
:_) A Boxer/Had a Fight/Nose Is Sliding Of Face
:{ A Psycho
(:I An Egghead
b:-) A Baseball Fan/Has A Cap On
(-) Needs A Haircut
;-(*) Feels Sick
*****:-) Marge Simpson
[:] A Robot
:-[ A Vampire/Count Dracula/Pouting/Sarcastic
:-F A Bucktoothed Vampire/Has Major Dental Problems
:=) Orangutan/Has Two Noses
:-? Smokes A Pipe
:-8( Condescending
8-# Death/Dead
;^) Smirking
:-----} Liar/Pinnochio
!-( Black Eye
) Cheshire Cat
(:-D Blabber Mouth
A Schizo *#*!^*&:-) phrenic
:-'| Has A Cold/Flu
:$) Donald Trump
:-.) Marilyn Monroe/Madonna
:-) 8 Dolly Parton
:-|:-| Deja'vu
<*:oDX A Clown
C|:-= Charlie Chaplin
: .) Cindy Crawford
=) Adolf Hitler
~:o A Baby
===:-D Don King
8(:-) Mickey Mouse/Walt Disney
(|-| F Robocop
3:*> Rudolph the Reindeer
P-) A Pirate
%-~ Picasso
':-) Has One Eyebrow
19. What is the maximum length of an email that can be posted?
The maximum length of an email sent to the list is 40 KB ( 40,960 bytes).
This includes the size of an attached files.
20. After I send an email to the list, sometimes I get bad email
notification sent to me instead of the list administrator?
Some email servers on the Internet are not configured correctly. Instead
of sending bad address bounce to the owner of the email, they send it to the
author of the email. This is very unusual. It is also out of our control.
However, if you get such email, send an email to the "root" account on that
server and request that they configure their email server such that the
bounces are sent to the owner instead of the author.
In the header section of an email from the seaint list,
please look for a header called "X-Listmember:" followed
by an email address. That is the address you are subscribed
as. Lets assume that address is "oldaddress(--nospam--at)company.com".
Now send an email to admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body
of the message type:
leave seaint oldaddress(--nospam--at)company.com
That should do it. seaint list server is one of the unique
educational tools for engineers all around the world. If you
do not like the amount of email you are getting, you can request that
all email be sent to you as a single email, once every day. This
feature is known as the "Digest" feature. See Question # 8 above.
23. Can I post a joke to the list?
This list server is intended to focus on the Structural engineering issues.
Normally, the jokes are NOT welcome by members. However, an occasional joke
relating engineers are allowed, provided the content is not regarding race,
religion or ethnicity. If your email is found inappropriate by the
administrator, you will be warned and may be suspended from the list.