Re: Residential Engineers and Architects Council on Housing

I believe that this is being created by the NAHB Research Center.  This group does employ very good engineers.  We at WTCA are currently working on two joint projects that we believe will address concerns over framing expertise and issues/problems in the residential industry.  Our industry's big concerns are over the improper handling, temporary bracing, and installation of our products.  Code language will not solve this, proactive education and believing that quality assurance techniques work can.  That is what we are working on.

Most of these structural design issues are not just residential in nature but can be applied more broadly.  We need everyone to at least understand all perspectives, so the dialogue would be beneficial as that is the only way we are going to make positive progress.

It is our hope that as many as possible get involved with the NAHB initiative, and that a forum can be established for this specific exchange.  If it is inside this one great.  If another that is fine to.  We'll participate.

We need common ground to advance building technology appropriately. We have to focus on the good work that is being done and implement it to all our constituency's benefit

Respectfully,

Kirk Grundahl, P.E.
Executive Director of WTCA