Re: GLB Failure

Bruce,

I inspected a similar condition on a roof beam in an industrial building in
Orange County a few years ago. The midspan deflection was about 12" (no joke).
The failure began when the roofers were doing a re-roof. Fortunately no one
was hurt. The calculations showed that the beam was properly sized. The
conclusion that I drew, and also Makintosh and Makintosh who were also
involved with the project, was that the beam was defective. This was obvious
by the absence of glue in the finger joints. The beam was adequate until it
experienced some actual loads.

You may want to contact Steve Provenghi at M and M, he's an expert at these
types of things.

Greg Riley PE