Re: Steel ASTM

For plates and bars, A36 is still the basic material spec; you can also
get higher strength and other characteristics in A572, A588, etc. with a
slight price premium. Plates and bars are generally produced by different
mills than wide-flange shapes, hence the separation with the shift of
wide-flange material (only) to A992.

Here's my "cheat-sheet" for the most common material specifications to
specify in steel building construction:

W-shapes: A992 (official ASTM number for ASTM A572 grade 50 with special
requirements as specified in AISC Technical Bulletin #3, March, 1997)
S-, M-, and HP-shapes and Channels: ASTM A572 grade 50 or ASTM A36
Angles: ASTM A36
Pipe: ASTM A53
HSS (round, square and rectangular): ASTM A500
Bars and plates: ASTM A36
Floor plate: "Commercial grade"
Crane rails: ASTM A759

Charlie