COMP: HP Computers?

Anyone familiar with HP computers? CompUSA has them on sale and,
particularly one model, is extremely cost effective. The HP Pavilion 8370,
350Mhz w/8GB HDD, 64Mb Ram (I will add an additional 64Mb), DVD, modem, etc.
etc. is less than $1,700 including tax and the additional 64Mb ram. This
will be my first "name brand" computer and it appears that it may be
better/less proprietary than Compaq.

Any comments would be welcome.

TIA,
Bill Allen