Re: ETABS Modelling

John:

Be sure you actually need to use flexible floor diaphragms before attacking
such an animal.  The modelling efforts are nearly double compared to a
rigid diaphragm analysis for a building such as you described.  What
specific affects are you trying to capture?  Contributions of in-plane
floor flexibility to story deflections are generally very small (and are a
quick hand calc if needed anyway).  Further, in most cases, I believe
you'll find the actual shear distribution to the walls will be sufficiently
accurate with a rigid diaphragm analysis.  Not an answer to your question,
rather a word of caution (especially if this is your first effort to model
flexible diaphragms with ETABS).

Dan Huntington