RE: Italian Structural Codes

Our firm does a lot of Italian work for the U.S. Military in Italy. The
Italians recently adopted the Eurocodes (or most of them). You can obtain
copies of them from technical book distributors, both in the States and
London. They are pretty expensive. For what it's worth, we've found that the
UBC Code generally governs for everything except concrete shear - the old
Italian Code did not let you consider concrete strength for shear.

Getting Italian seismic criteria (zones, accelerations, etc.) is a little
difficult unless you have an Italian consultant that can translate the
Ministerial Decrees and call the local officials. There tend to be a lot of
special local requirements that are issue by provincial officials that are
tough to find. If you're interested in doing a design to U.S. Code, the
Navy's P-355 has seismic data for foreign cities.

I don't know anything about your project, but you'll have to have a
structural certification done by an Italian structural engineer to build the
project. They have to certify that you've complied with the Italian Law.

Also, they expect structural design drawings to come pretty close to what we
call shop drawings in the U.S. In other words, they want to see every lap,
hook and bend specifically called out in the documents.

If I can help you further, let me know.

William R. Keen, PE
Director, Structural Engineering
Clark Nexsen