Re: Master and slave joints

Your original question actually consisted of two parts. One is a
master-slave and another one was about a diaphragm modeling.

The question about master-slave was answered by several previous posts:
You artificially constrain several nodes to the same displacements and
rotations as THE MASTER. This is easy to see in a plane frame model. If
you want to disregard axial deformation of the girder, you can slave the
right joint to the left one.

When it comes to modeling a diaphragm (as in the floor plate), the
master-slave term becomes way more cumbersome as you want ALL of your
joints in the floor plate to "move" together as one rigid plate around
the center. Then the question becomes which joint should be THE MASTER.
I am using two programs in my practice STAAD and STRAP. If I remember
correctly you can do it in STAAD by specifying ALL directions when
"slaving". I found it by trial and error a few years back. I have admit
I haven't done it in STAAD for a while as I found it much easier to
specify it in STRAP. In STRAP I simply select "all nodes with the same
vertical coordinate" from the menu and take my model in a window and
STRAP automatically groups all floors in separate diaphragms. But I do
remember doing it in STAAD - more time but doable.

Regards,

Joan