RE: A 588 STEEL / STACK DESIGN

Couldn't find a listing for SA-588 in the ASME BPV Code, Table UCS.
Weathering steel sounds like a good choice unless you have something nasty
going up the stack.  Are you sure about those temperatures?  They don't
sound very high for a stack.  Joint efficiency of 0.70 is consistent w/ the
BPV Code, Section UW, for a double-welded butt joint w/o radiographic
inspection; you could improve it to 0.85 w/ just spot inspection.  On the
other hand, ASME shows efficiency drops to 0.60 for single-welded butt
joints and as low as 0.50 for fillet welded lap joints.  Hope this helps a
little.