From: WILLIAM R. KEEN [mailto:wrk(--nospam--at)clarknexsen.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 3:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Cavity Width in Masonry Walls

Does anyone have any experience with large cavities (>3") in masonry cavity
wall design and construction? UBC permits up to 4 1/2" with the proper ties,

but NAVFAC P-355 restricts cavity width to 3" unless spot mortar bedding is
used to stiffen the ties. We have a project with CMU backup, 2" insulation
and clay brick veneer. To get a clean cavity, the architect has specified a
2" air space for a total cavity of 4". The Navy said no to any more than a
3"
cavity.

The project is located in Norfolk, Virginia (Zone 1).

Bill Keen
Clark Nexsen