RE: Mechanical Properties of Marble

Hello Dr. Rangelow,

This is the second time you help me, thanks. We suggested that already, but
the owner doesn't want to see any steel at all and the marble company can't
guarantee they can hide it. There is an anchorage system (Italian), that
works sort of what we're proposing, the problem is that that sistem is
designed for a curtain wall and marble plates are joined all together with
structural silicone, so they are somehow joined. Here the owner is asking
for a 1 inch separation between plates so he can put a light behind and it
comes through those spaces. Well that's what he wants.
I thought about drilling 3/8" holes in the corners of a 4" square, then I
would make a steel plate with four 1/4" nails that fit in those holes and
glue it using epoxic resine, the one that is used to fix steel bars to
existing concrete. This would have the nails and the plate sticked to the
marble plate. They are making a test specimen now and I'm taking it to the
lab tomorrow. In this way, marble plate will only take bearing stresses and
the resine will stop the plate from going out of it's plane. What I'm
planning to get is the force needed to take the anchorage out of the plate,
then with a factor of safety of about 3, I'm calculating the amount of
elements I need to hold safely this plate. Any better ideas are welcome.

Thanks again

Walter Sheen
Lima, Peru