Re: Fw: footings a beam or a slab?

I generally check the transverse directo=ion as unreinforced concrete to
verify the need for transverse reinforcing.   In most cases I work in, there
is rarely a need for transverse reinforcing.

The longitudingal bars are to bridge over soft spots in the soils which cannot
be predicted as to the length of these soft spots.

My understanding is that some people use the 1/3 provision (10.5.3) for
minimum "beam reinforcing in some strip footings when addressing longitudinal
steel.

I would be interested in the "consensus of the group" on this.  The code is
not clear that I can tell in this area.