Water Retaining Concrete

In Respnse To:

From: Dan Huntington <huntingtondj(--nospam--at)kjww.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Water Retaining Concrete

Chance,

Unforturnately, I don't have a good source for you.  However, my quick calc
of
eqn (10-4) of ACI 318 for the situation you described above seems to
indicate
the design has a 'z' value roughly twice that allowed by code.  Thus twice
the
corresponding limiting crack width of 0.013 = 0.026 should be expected.
Seems
like that is what may be occuring.  If it is not to late, you may need to
roughly double the reinforcing for the remainder of the job.  Hope all turns
out well.

Dan Huntington
KJWW Engineering

Chance, Acie P. wrote:

> I am designing retaining walls which will form the edges of a lagoon. The
* first two walls we poured have cracks which go completely through the
wall.

Equation 10-4 applies to T-sections, equation 10-3 applies to general
flexural sections.  The requirements of 10-3 are only half of the
requirements of 10-4.  If you consider a wall to be a vertical slab, then
para. 10.5.1 refers you to para. 7.12.  However, para. 14.3.3 applies
specifically to walls and it requires slightly more reinforcement than does
para. 7.12

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc.