Re: Wall weight in base shear computation

ed gonzalez wrote:

> I was reading an old publication, "Seismic Design Handbook" Edited by
Farzad
Naeim, Chp 7, Seismic Design of Floor Diaphragms.  In page 218 he states the
following: "The weight of the walls parallel to the applied seismic force
does
not contribute to the diaphragm shear.  However, in general, they are
included
conservatively in the design of concrete floor diaphragms". <

I would not normally include the weight of the parallel walls in the floor
diaphragm design, except perhaps as a convenience in adding up total loads
at
each floor level.  (However, I might consider including it if there is
significant eccentricity in the shear wall arrangement such that seismic
forces must be redistributed).

> I am curious to find out if anyone can comment on whether they also
include
the wt of parallel walls in their base shear calculations for a shear wall
bldg with rigid (assume concrete) diaphragm. <

Yes, I would include the weight in the base shear calculations (and in the
shear wall design), since the seismic inertia of the shear wall would still
add to the base shear.