Re: Street light/flag pole deflection

Per AASHTO's "Standard Specifications For Structural Supports For Highway
Signs, Luminaires And Traffic Signals": "Deflection resulting from Group
II(DL+W) and Group III(DL+ICE+1/2W) loads...may generally be considered not
critical as long as the structure will satisfy the allowable unit stress
criteria..." prescribed by this document. In addition, "Consideration,
however, should be given to the aesthetics of the deflected structure
sustaining Group I(DL) loads...". ANSI/NAAMM FP 1001-90, "Guide Specifications
For Design Loads Of Metal Flagpoles" also does not prescribe specific
deflection criteria for flagpoles. However, I suspect that if also designed
per the prescribed loads, deflection should not be a concern.

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD