Re: Welding and galvinizing of A449 Threaded Rods

A449 is a heat-treated rod material (materially, it's the rod equivalent
of that for A325 bolts). I think there is a concern that the heat input
of the weld can reduce the strength of the rod by relieving the effect of
the heat treatment. I'm not sure how extensive the zone of damage would
be, but the question comes down to if it is large enough to affect the
stripping strength of the threads that are engaged with the nut, or the
strength of the rod at the critical plane (just inside the bearing face
of the nut). I'd be most concerned if the tack weld were placed on the
bearing face of the nut (i.e., at the critical plane), but that is not
the usual practice.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a specification or testing report that
addresses this issue.

Charlie