COMP: DesignJet 600 Plotter on a COM port

With my new computer, I have fewer resources available than my old P150 dog,
particularly IRQs. To help solve this problem, I am trying to set up my
plotter on the existing (but free) COM1 port. This was a little hassle, but
once I ordered the special HP cable, it works at 9,600 baud. I know new 350
Mhz P2 computers and cable modems have made me less patient, but it takes
about three times longer (3-1/2 minutes vs. 1 min. 20 secs. on one of my
detail sheets) to get the computer back while the computer is rastorizing
the .dwg file. I have tried 19,200 baud but I get parity errors (yes, I
changed the setting in the device manager) and HP tech support warned me
that I may get errors at speeds in excess of 9,600 baud.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Bill Allen