Re: Questions about Residential design and 1997 UBC

From: Dennis S. Wish PE <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com>
To: SEA International List <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Thursday, October 01, 1998 4:02 PM
Subject: Questions about Residential design and 1997 UBC

Dennis,

At last!  Discussion on conventional framing!  I will surely be following this with intensity.  Do you have access/contact to the paper on perforated shearwalls?  I am at this very moment in the process of investigating the perforated shearwall case because we have a problem with a third party insisting that we do not require hold downs at doorways, which flies in the face of my own reasoning.  The requirement for hold downs at the doorways may be mitigated by the continuity of the wall but there would have to be something there to reduce "peel-off" by the bottom/sill plate???
Am in early stages of own review of rigidities in diaphragms and shearwalls with the goal of generating my own program for the inclusion of those boundary effects.  Recently, before your UBC process, I became increasingly aware that conventional framing does not conform to "numbers" and I have been left with a degree of discomfort therefrom.
I remain lurking

Thor A. Tandy   P.Eng,  MCSCE,  MIPENZ
Victoria, BC, Canada
e-mail: <vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com>