RE: COMP: DesignJet 600 Plotter on a COM port

Some problems with your solution:

I believe a network card will require an IRQ (which is the problem in the
first place). Although I can eliminate IRQ demand by using a network card,
this solution means that I have to have two computers running which I would
like to avoid. This is my last resort solution.

A three way print server would probably mean that I could only run one
printer at a time. This would be a big problem when I have a lot of plots to
do and I cannot print to my other printers in the meantime. My clients don't
pay me to sit around and watch the plotter plot :o).

So far:
I have my Laserjet 4+ running great on USB1. In fact, it runs better than on
a parallel port.
My Deskjet 1000c won't run on a USB port (it is not supported, verified by
HP tech support, don't waste your time or money).
I have successfully setup my DesignJet 600 plotter to run on COM1 at 9,600
baud. Rasterizing is slow (3-1/2 minutes vs. 1 min. 20 seconds on one of my
detail sheets). I get a parity error when trying to bump it up to 19,200
baud but maybe I need to play around with the setup. If I can get this thing
running at 19,200 baud, I think this will be acceptable.
I can get the computer to recognize my OfficeJet LX as a printer on USB2,
but the scanning software will not work. HP tech support confirmed that the
Twain driver will not work on a USB port. The only reason I want to hook up
my OfficeJet is for the scanning features. I guess I just have to wait for
HP (or someone) to develop a USB driver or piggy back it on my Ditto Tape
drive currently hooked into LPT1. I have not had the same problems with the
Ditto Tape as I have had with the Zip drive.
I have purchased (but not yet installed) an ATAPI Zip drive. Once installed,
hopefully I can hook up my Deskjet 1000c to LPT2.

Thanks,
Bill