Re: CUREE-CALTECH WOODFRAME PROJECT RECEIVES

In a message dated 10/3/98 3:10:41 PM, rjbossi(--nospam--at)sonic.net writes:

>But what would
>happen if we simply stopped having the government save us from ourselves?

I don't think there would be any significant behavioral changes for a long,
long time.  The vast majority of people don't think anything is going to
happen to them.  Let me suggest an analogy:

If the government told us ambulances would help people wearing seat belts
before those not wearing them (in an automobile accident), would it make a
difference?  My guess is that the half of drivers who don't wear belts
wouldn't change their behavior because they already believe they won't be in
an accident.  Conversely, the intelligent half of the population (myself
included, of course) would continue to wear them because it's the smart, wise,
intelligent, safer thing to do.  I.E. no change.

Just my 2 bits.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA