RE: COMP: DesignJet 600 Plotter on a COM port

Assuming your HP can receive data at higher than 9600 bps.  The simplest
answer might be getting a new I/O card.  The following is an explanation
about I/O speed at COM ports.  Though I got it from an ISP web site
explaining about modem problems.  I think it applies here.

Kehshin Chi

Make sure you have a current UART chip.

 A UART chip is the serial port that your external modem is
 connected to. Older technology UART chips cause many
 connection and throughput problems. A 8250 UART chip is old
 technology that does not support speeds higher than 9600
 bps, while a 16550 UART chip should not cause any
 problems. To find out what type of chip you have, exit your
 operating system and type MSD at a DOS prompt. Run this in
 a DOS session and not a DOS window to get correct
 information. Choose the option for COM Ports and read the
 UART chip type at the bottom of the window. You may try
 lowering your baud rate to connect if you have an 8250 UART,
 but the connection will be unreliable. This is a hardware item
 and must be upgraded through a computer store.