Re: 1903 STEEL BEAM ANALYSIS

Tahir,

A 1898 steel-framed building for which I designed a seismic strengthening had
steel with chemestry that differed from modern steel, and differed from member
to member within the structure, to the extent that we decided it could not be
reliably welded; all connections to the old steel were made with slip-critical
bolted connections.  The new connections will not share load with the existing
riveted connections unless the new connection are designed as slip-critical.

To evaluate the existing riveted connections, rivets were removed and tested.
The most recent AISC Modern Steel Construction periodical has a "Steel
Interchange" article on rivet removal.

To evaluate existing connections you'll need to look at them, count rivets and
account for load eccentricities.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer