RE: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

The problem is typical in residential construction where manufactured roof
trusses are used. The EOR is to assume responsiblity for the entire
structure - including the load path connections from the roof trusses to the
foundation. He is not necessarily held responsible for the trusses if
designed by an independent fabricator. These are generally designed (if wood
plated trusses) using proprietary plates and with special software.
Therefore, the building officials in my area are requiring that the EOR
provide a letter to the building official indicating that he has reviewed
the truss calculations for compliance to his design.
The responsiblity of the EOR should be limited to the structure below the
roof and verification that he has reviewed the truss package. However, this
is a moot issue if a truss fails. The EOR will be pulled into litigation the
same as the Truss Engineer until which point it can be determined (if
possible) if the problem was due to fabrication inadequacies or from an
discrepency in the loading intended by the EOR.
It gets messy regardless of who takes responsiblity, but it is my opinion
that the Building Official requires authority by one engineer who is
responsible for either design or observation of the total structure.

I also understand, from my conversations with WTCA (and possibly Kirk
Grundahl might respond to this) that the 1997 UBC provisions places more
responsibilty upon the truss engineer to provide the physical connections of
roof elements that constitute the roof structure. For example, the truss
manufacturer will now be required to specify all truss hips to truss girder
connections, partial trusses to truss connects etc. This has been resisted
by the truss companies in my area as it decreases their profits by
increasing their cost of design.

Dennis Wish PE