RE: Plan check submittals and shop drawings

Requiring a manufacturer to have a structural engineer seal drawings is a
fairly common practice.  The theory is that the manufacturer and his
structural engineer are intimate with the product which may be proprietary
or may involve elements or practices that are unique to the manufacturer.

I have come across this resistance before.  The trick is to write the
specification to put the supplier in violation of his contract if he does
not provide sealed drawings and calcs.  Tack on a little note about bond
forfeiture for noncompliance, and you'll get your drawings sealed. It is not
much different than if he accepted the contract, and refused to provide the
trusses, warrantee or any other contractually required component.

You need to be specific, however, requiring the manufacturer to provide the
sealed drawings and calcs.  Just saying that they need to be sealed, may
imply that the EOR is to seal the drawings.

As the EOR I would not seal manufacturer's drawings.  It won't insulate you
entirely from litigation, but it is a good fire wall.

Harold Sprague, P.E.
The Neenan Company
harold.sprague(--nospam--at)neenan.com