Rehabilitation of bridge superstructure due to earthquake

Hello!

Given a multi-span, continuous bridge which employs longitudinal bolsters to prevent the superstructure from falling off its piers and abutments during a seismic event, the following discussion arose.

If the anchor bolts in the bearings are designed for the low intensity event, and they shear off during a high intensity design load such that the bolsters are employed, is there a way to move the superstructure back into place following the event, or is it necessary to replace the superstructure?  Assume there's roughly 50mm (2 in) of allowable movement before the bolsters engage.

If anyone has experience with such a case or can refer me to a case history, I would be very interested.  Thank you very much!

Mitchell Dobres, EIT